Important Workshop Proposal Dates:
- 6 May 2019: Workshop proposals deadline
- 3 June 2019: Notification of acceptance/rejection of a workshop
The MAPS EMEA 2019 Annual Meeting this October 6-8 in Amsterdam will be the largest gathering of Medical Affairs professionals from across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, with over 250 MA professionals and subject matter experts participating.
The EMEA 2019 Organising Committee invites proposals for the workshop program for this year’s Annual Meeting. The purpose of these workshops is to share best practices and to ensure that participants take home actionable insights and tools that they can then apply in their Medical organisations. Innovative and interactive ideas are particularly welcome as a main topic of a workshop – we aim to provide our participants with the highest quality experience, led by senior Medical leaders, not attainable elsewhere in a conference setting.
Workshops will be held on both days of the conference(7 and 8 October), and will run for approximately 90 minutes.
There is also a dedicated program for MSLs and MSL managers prior to the start of the conference. This MSL program will take place from 12:00-18:00 on Sunday, 6 October. Workshop proposals are also being accepted for this program.
MAPS workshops are dynamic and intimate forums in which to explore and discuss topics in depth and an opportunity to provide sharing of best practices across the industry. We therefore encourage proposals involving speakers who are from different institutions and represent a variety of perspectives. We aim for a balanced workshop program offering a diverse set of themes. Because of the unique opportunity for discussion this forum offers, we encourage workshop plans that emphasize interactive components, group activities, and discussion over those that focus on individual talks.
Organisers should be active themselves in the field in which they propose a workshop. All listed organisers are expected to attend those workshops they are organizing; i.e., do not include a potential organizer who may not be present at the workshop. Any change to the workshop organisation team must be submitted in writing at least two (2) months prior to the conference. No changes to the workshop organisation team or objectives can be made after 1 August 2019.
EMEA 2019 participants will come from a variety of backgrounds and experience, with most having worked at both large and smaller companies. Experience levels of participants may vary, so development of any necessary pre-reads may be important depending on your topic. Over 65% of participants will be at the director level or above at their company. You will indicate during the submission process which levels of experience for which your workshop would be appropriate.
Proposal Submission Process
All submissions should be made via the form below no later than 6 May 2019 at 17:00 CEST. Each organizer should submit only one (1) proposal. For pre-proposal submission inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We solicit workshops in all current MAPS Focus areas, including:
- Medical Strategy/Value of MA
- Med Com (Scientific Com Platform/Pubs/Congress Planning)
- Medical Information
- External Education
- MSL/Field Based Medical
- Patient Centricity
- Evidence Generation: Payers/HTA
- Evidence Generation: HCPs
- Medical Device & Diagnostics
Proposal Content (to be submitted via the below form)
- Workshop title
- Abstract (less than 200 words)
- Name, affiliation, title and e-mail address for each participating organiser
- Identification of the primary contact person(s)
- Background and Motivation: What is the overall topic of the workshop? Why is this topic of particular interest at this time? If the workshop has been organized in the past MAPS or other conferences, please give details of previous instances (venue, URL) and describe why it should be held again and how it will extend and build upon previous ones.
- Objectives: What are the objectives that the workshop aims to achieve? Objectives may include but are not limited to (a) targeting a predefined set of focus questions, (b) presenting alternate views on a particular issue that is of concern to the Medical Affairs community and attempting to resolve the issue, (c) identifying priorities for new areas of industry standards and guidance, and/or (d) initiating the appropriate collaborations and building community around a theme of interest. If you have a plan to produce a white paper or other resource as a result of your workshop, please indicate these plans.
- Format: Give a description of the proposed workshop format, including the target number of participants, planned activities (such as introductions, invited talks, breakout group activities, demos, general discussion), as well as how these activities address the workshop objectives. Preference will be given to proposals for activities designed to fuel discussion and interaction among participants; workshops consisting solely of didactic presentations are discouraged. Provide a preliminary schedule with estimated times. Design your schedule for a length of 90 minutes duration.
- Organisers: Give short descriptions of each of the organizers’ background and interests related to the specific workshop topic.
Workshop proposals will be peer-reviewed by the Annual Meeting Co-Chairs and MAPS Focus Area Working Groups. We aim to select a diverse set of workshops and avoid having multiple workshops on overlapping themes. For accepted proposals, workshop organisers from industry (defined as those currently employed by a pharmaceutical, medical device or biotech company) will receive a complimentary full conference registration. For organisers from solution provider companies (defined as those who provide services or products to the above-mentioned industry participants), a full conference registration pass must be purchased for each solution provider organizer, whether as part of a full-conference exhibitor pass, or one purchased separately.